(More customer reviews)This washer is NOT the typical top loader agitator style washing machine. READ THE FURNISHED MANUAL AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!
We purchased this washer as part of a matched set along with the GE electric dryer GE GTDN500EMWS 27" Electric Dryer with 7.0 cu. ft. Capacity, Multiple Drying Cycles, 4 Heat Selections, Sensor Dry, Wrinkle Care, Stainless Steel Drum and Quiet-by-Design Performance. We are VERY happy with this washer dryer set as a matched pair!
My list of points to keep in mind with this dryer after our initial experiences:
1. READ THE FURNISHED MANUAL!!! And read plenty of reviews first!!
2. ALWAYS USE LIQUID HE DETERGENT for HIGH EFFICIENCY Washers!! Use anything else such as high sudsing powder detergent (is that really a word??) and you are likely to experience problems such as white detergent scum on the clothes!
3. Always add the appropriate amount of LIQUID HE DETERGENT, start the washer to begin water flow, then load and run as usual. (At least during our initial learning experience we used a small magnet to keep the switch activated so we can do this with the lid open - caution do NOT do this if you have cats, children or other small pets or absolutely anything else that can become harmed while the machine is running!!)
4. Do NOT expect to be able to add more clothes once the water level is set ie once the machine is running. The first time I tried this and restarted the washer it drained ALL the detergent water out first, then replenished the water level. Therefore my newly added liquid HE detergent was on TOP of the clothes, not down in the water where it belongs. LESSON LEARNED: just because it's a top loader, don't expect to add more clothes once the machine is running, same as a front loading washing machine more clothes cannot be added later once the machine is running and has water up on the seal of the door. (I called the GE answer center, they report once START is pushed clothes cannot be added to the washer at all since the auto-water-level sensing is the first aspect that completes.)
5. Noise level - this machine is a different technology than the old style agitator top loaders therefore makes a completely different sound when running and pauses during the cycle. It is not LOUDER than our old Amana, just different.
6. Balance - So far we have no experienced any balance issues, just be sure to load the wash AROUND the nubby "agitator", not on top of the agitator (same concept as a typical washer where you would NOT load clothes on top of the agitator either so on this machine just think of it as a shorter agitator!)
7. This washer has a stainless steel drum. This is a PLUS for dying clothes (I love to tie dye! - but I'm not certain this particular washer would be useful for dying clothes I will update once we try dying some items.)
8. Due to concerns with soap residue from ANY and ALL washers, we have always used the extra rinse (even with our old washer) and the extra spin (simply set the selector dial in between both). With this high efficiency unit we will be conserving more water than the typical household as this will save water on THREE fills, not just the typical two. If you are like us and have always used the extra rinse cycle, you will also experience further water use reduction.
As we have only washed a few loads and are still in the learning curve I will update this review in a few weeks once we have more experience.
PS I gave this washer a FOUR star review simply due to trepidation over the learning curve on how to successfully load and run this washer - it simply is a different technology. If this machine proves itself over time I will likely upgrade this to a full FIVE star review. I could not give this washer five stars at this time since it is requiring a learning period which again is simply due to a different technology than the old standard agitator washers - and I somehow would feel better if there was an option to add MORE water... sometimes the amount of water just appears to be so low.. yet so far all the clothes are coming out perfectly clean.
GE Parts: 1-800-GE-Cares
GE Answer Center: 1-800-626-2000 Option 3 (Questions about operation, etc)
Click Here to see more reviews about: GE GTWN5050MWS 27" Top-Load Washer with 4.3 cu. ft. IEC Capacity, HE Low-Water Wash, Infusor w/ HydroWave System, 700-RPM Spin Speed, Stainless Steel Basket and Energy Star CEE Tier III Qualified
GE Consumer and Industrial spans the globe as an industry leader in major appliance, lighting and integrated industrial equipment systems and services. They provide solutions for commercial, industrial and residential use in more than 100 countries which uses innovative technologies and ecomagination. It's a GE initiative to aggressively bring to market new technologies that help customers and consumers meet pressing environmental challenges to deliver comfort, convenience and electrical protection and control. GE brings imagination to work. The latest line of GE washers and dryers offers the ultimate in laundry performance and convenience. With energy-efficiency and water savings at the top of the list, GE has created large-capacity washer and dryer products that not only clean your clothes with a gentle touch, but also give you more space for big (and therefore fewer!) loads. GE Top-Load Washers Traditional top load washers use a post agitator to achieve good cleaning performance by moving clothes against each other creating turnover. HydroWave wash system produces a quiet, smooth agitation, with a long, slow travel through the water to provide gentle yet thorough cleaning.
Click here for more information about GE GTWN5050MWS 27" Top-Load Washer with 4.3 cu. ft. IEC Capacity, HE Low-Water Wash, Infusor w/ HydroWave System, 700-RPM Spin Speed, Stainless Steel Basket and Energy Star CEE Tier III Qualified