(More customer reviews)We should really be hired to test vacuum and carpet cleaners, but even so the price of this dream clean machine gave me some pause (okay, a lot). With 2 kids, 3 dogs, and 2 cats and fairly light carpets, we put our cleaners to the test. I have gone through SEVERAL carpet cleaners (roughly 1 every 2 years) and have also had the carpets professionally cleaned. Honestly, this carpet cleaner cleaned as well if not better than the pros, and worlds better than our current Hoover F6207-900 SteamVac Lite Carpet Cleaner with Heated Cleaning.
1) Handle can lay back fully with no strain on the hose - I mention this after replacing the hoses several times on previous Hoovers
2) You do NOT have to mix the detergent!!!! Wow - what a great feature, no waste!
3) 2 separate rollers actually scrub the carpet amazingly well
4) No fuss dial system - incredibly easy to go between standard clean, spot clean (does not pick up so you can scrub, scrub, scrub away the years of bad carpet cleaners), and rinse (the water rinse is GREAT!)
5) Easy to follow indicator lights let you know if you know when it is cleaning (detergent), rinsing (water only), or drying (neither light on)
6) Spot clean is easy to follow - actually squirts out the front so you can actually see the spot you are hitting (2 settings, spray or stream)
7) My previous Hoovers had this obnoxious detachable hose reel, and then when the clips that hold it on break, you find yourself dragging accessories around the house - this one is not detachable.
8) The hose remains attached, you don't have to plug it in, so no hose door to break and lose (yeah, I've done that too)
9) Scrubber assembly comes off easily for cleaning (but not the front roller, which might be a problem if you don't maintain it)
10) generous cord longer than previous Hoovers
11) 6 year warranty makes it cheaper than replacing 3 $200 Hoovers with 1 year warranties (just check where your service center is - ours is about 30 miles away and always very responsive)
12) Since it is clear plastic (opposed to grey or purple) it is easier to see when the water being picked up becomes fairly clear indicating you have extracted the maximum amount of dirt you can
1) It's big - and heavy - and I have tons of stairs
2) Blue light shining on carpet - this gives me eye strain after a while
3) Waste container - there's no delicate way to dump it - it's opening is like a big bucket and it gets everywhere. I suppose it will get better with practice, and it is easier to clean this way, but I think it was a step backward
4) Very small holes to pour in the detergent and water - buy a funnel since the detergent is pricey
5) Detergent guzzler
Eh's (take 'em or leave 'em):
1) Heat - I don't think it really did much (It didn't feel substantial)
2) Waste container sensor - doesn't detect the detergent well, with the clear plastic, it's pretty obvious when they need emptying/filling
3) Blue light - why blue - simulated uv? It doesn't actually illuminate anything.
4) Carry handle - it's made of molded plastic and is in the back, so... yeah, pretty awkward hoisting it up and down the stairs. But, I really don't have a better option, so am not putting it as a con.
How did it do???
If I had known how well it would do, I would have taken pictures or video, because it is unbelievable. I cleaned my ancient 15 year old carpets (about 1600 sq. feet worth) and actually managed to get them back very near their original color. Shockingly old stains that my kidlets provided that were not removed by the pros or the old cleaners are gone. One caveat here is that I used around 64 ounces of detergent. I started with the professional grade, but used the cheap stuff in the kids' rooms (smells better anyway). Based on the amount used and lack of discernable difference, I cannot recommend the "professional" cleaner but instead Hoover 40321130 Premium Pet Formula Carpet/Upholstery Detergent, 128-Ounce, which has what I would call a lemony scent. If you are scent sensitive, then try Hoover 40321128 Deep Cleansing Carpet/Upholstery Detergent, 128-Ounce. I use the 4-for-3 to really make it a great buy. In any event, I took my time actually read the directions for once and made sure I did several dry passes. I took advantage of the spot clean followed by rinse only for high traffic areas, used the powered hand tool on the stairs, and the upholstery brush on our chairs. All works admirably providing results that made the initial investment worth it. The carpets look amazing and were dry within two hours (aided along by a hot day).
Click Here to see more reviews about: Hoover Platinum Collection Carpet Cleaner with MaxExtract Technology, F8100900
Equipped with MaxExtract technology and a powerful 12 amp motor, this easy-to-use carpet cleaner provides a computer-controlled system with carpet or rug settings for a professional-looking clean without the guesswork. Simply push a button and turn the dial to start the cleaning cycle. The machine's Dual Scrub technology combined with SpinScrub brushes surround carpet fibers to gently remove dirt from every angle. Features a targeted detergent spray for stubborn stains